DATE: November 18, 2021
To listen to a recording of th4e meeting click: https://bit.ly/3DSgpOY
PRESENT: Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens, AJ Ruben
PUBLIC PRESENT: Betty Warner
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: Pittsfield Public Safety Resources List – NB#3; Proposed Skating Rink – NB#4
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: November 4, 2021, Regular Meeting
1.Sand Shed – grant update
2.BRIC Grant – agreement update
3.Town Office – request for PDF subscription update
4.Lister vs Assessor - update
1.October financials – Treasurer’s Report
2.Holiday Tree event
3.Pittsfield Public Safety Resources List
4.Proposed Ice-Skating Rink
NEXT MEETING DATES:
1.Budget MeetingNovember 23, 2021 @5:00pm at the Town Office
2.Regular Meeting December 2, 2021 @ 6:00pm at the Town Hall
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:04pm. Seconded by AJ. All in favor. Ann presented two Agenda Modifications (see above). Ann moved to take OB#4 out of order. Seconded by AJ. All in favor. Joyce moved to approve the Minutes of November 4th’s meeting. Seconded by AJ. All in favor.
1. Sand Shed – grant update. The letter of support for the VTrans Fall 2021 Transportation Alternatives (TA) Grant Application was presented. Ann was asked to put it on the
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 2
November 18, 2021
Town’s letterhead instead of TRORC’s. She added that probable construction costs will be up to date and are being prepared by Dubois & King. This will bring the grant request as current as possible. The position of Construction Engineer was discussed. It would be better to hire someone from the outside and the cost is typically 10% of the construction cost but could possibly be reduced to 8%. Ann moved to have the Chair sign this letter of support to go along with the application, which is due by November 24th. AJ seconded. All in favor.
2. BRIC Grant – agreement update. Ann said she has not heard from Sarah and the Planning Commission. Joyce said that she saw Sarah recently and was told that the Planning Commission cannot move forward at this time. Ann moved to table this to the next meeting.
3. Town Office – request for PDF subscription update. Joyce said she spoke with Louis. The Board felt that it was not necessary to install the program on five computers, but there didn’t seem to be any price difference for less than five others than one. It was asked if Nitro was a better program and more cost effective. It was also asked if there were incidental costs associated with the program such as a monitoring fee, etc. Joyce suggested tabling this to the budget meeting for follow-up.
4. Lister vs Assessor – update. Betty prepared a handout outlining various scenarios involving Listers, Assessor, and Lister/Assessor. In these examples, she outlined roles and responsibilities as well as areas of concern. Continued discussion. Ann questioned whether the Board of Listers could be changed from elected to appointed officials. It was emphasized that the Select Board would not have oversight over the Listers, and it everything was outsourced, it would not be done in one step. Betty said that she would like the Select Board to look into finding someone to replace her and have that person be appointed between Town Meeting and when the tax bills are produced. Budgeted figures were briefly addressed and will be discussed in more detail at the next special budget meeting next week.
1. October financials – Treasurer’s Report. Joyce moved to approve. Ann seconded. All in favor.
2. Holiday Tree event – Ann said that she spoke with Cindy Bryant and Betty from the Library Board. They had expressed an interest in having a tree lighting and decorating become event. It was felt Sunday, December 5that 5pm would be a good date. This event could include music, caroling, and a live tree/artificial tree. Cindy said she approached the Fire Department, and they will bring Santa on one of the trucks. Ann said that there is an Ambassador at Killington that works as Santa at the different resorts, and he will be Pittsfield’s Santa and Killington is allowing him the use of the Santa suit. AJ requested that the event not be labeled as a Christmas event in any way out of respect for non-Christian beliefs. He said that there cannot be a Town event that speaks to “Christmas.”
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 3
November 18, 2021
Joyce made a motion to call it a Holiday Tree event and only publicize it as a Holiday Tree Lighting event.” Ann seconded. All in favor.
3. Pittsfield Public Safety Resources List. Ann said that she received notification from TRORC that we need to have to provide all public safety mutual aid agreements. She said this notification went to Dave Colton. She saw Doug and asked what he knew about this. He said he would try and track them down. Ann wondered if TRORC had them. No action was taken on this.
4. Proposed Ice-Skating Rink. Joyce said Coral had spoken with her about putting a skating rink out on the ball field. The basketball court mentioned as it has lights. Joyce said that there could be some issues with that, so that it should only be daylight skating at first. The court was discussed further. The fire department is looking to use money in the recreation fund for the liner, etc. and have a collection bucket for donations. AJ said that there should be someone to oversee the maintenance. Joyce said that Coral is researching the costs associated with this project. Ann said that the Select Board supports the idea and would have Coral prepare a proposal for next week’s budget meeting. Joyce noted that if it is not started now, it might be too late for this winter. Ann moved to table any action on this until next week’s budget meeting.
NEXT MEETING DATES:
1. Budget MeetingNovember 23, 2021 @5:00pm at the Town Office
2. Regular Meeting December 2, 2021 @ 6:00pm at the Town Hall
As there was no further business, Ann moved to adjourn the meeting at7:26pm. AJ seconded. All in favor.
Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben