DATE: November 4, 2021
To listen to a recording of the meeting please click https://bit.ly/3BJv5Ot
PRESENT: Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens (AJ Ruben not present)
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: Sand Shed Grant – NB#2; Town Office PDF Subscription – NB#3
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: October 21, 2021, Regular Meeting
1.Green Up VT – grant
1.Town Garage – EC Fiber update
2.Town Roads – Class 4 Road work permits
1.Town Office Vacancies – Planning Committee & Emergency Management Co-Director
-Appointments – Planning Committee & Emergency Management Co-Director
2.Sand Shed – grant update
3.Town Office – request for PDF subscription
NEXT MEETING DATE:
1.Budget MeetingNovember 9, 2021 @5:00pm at the Town Office
2.Regular Meeting November 18, 2021 @ 6:00pm at the Town Hall
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:00pm. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor.
1. Green Up VT – grant. Green Up VT is offering to bring a water bottle filling station and up to $1,000 for installation to Towns. The deadline for applications is December 15thwith the awarding on December 31st. Discussion. Ann said there were certain stipulations to apply, and it was felt that Pittsfield didn’t have a need. No action taken.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 2
November 4, 2021
1. Town Garage – EC Fiber update. Ann said that there would be upfront costs. The existing culvert cannot be used and a new one would have to be dug which would be an added installation cost. A ditch digger would need to be hired and a new culvert and wire installed for Dig Safe. Digging wouldn’t be easy as the driveway would need to be crossed. George had suggested that since Consolidated Communications is installing fiber optic cable through town that it would be better to wait. Ann moved to table any action on switching the garage over to EC Fiber. Joyce seconded.
2. Town Roads – Class 4 Road work permits. This item had been previously tabled pending more information. Ann said she spoke with George, and it was felt that since there has only been this one incident, it would be better to wait on this. Joyce asked if the Town required weight permits. Ann said she wasn’t sure and would follow up with George. Ann moved to table this until there was need for a policy. Joyce seconded.
1. Town Office Vacancies – Planning Commission & Emergency Management Co-Director. Ann said she received a resignation for these two positions from Tim Carter. Ann moved that the Board accept Tim’s letter of resignation. Joyce seconded.
Appointments – Planning Commission & Emergency Management Co-Director. Ann said that she spoke with Ryan Thompson and gave him a description of the positions and what each one involved. He said he would take on both positions. Ann moved that the Board appoint Ryan as an interim Planning Commission member for a term ending in March. Joyce seconded. Ann also moved to appoint Tim to the position of Emergency Management Co-Director. Joyce seconded. All in favor. The Secretary will send Ryan a letter of appointment.
2. Sand Shed – grant update. Ann said that she received word from VTrans that Pittsfield has been awarded the grant but only for $56,000 not the $82,645 requested in Federal funding. The question now is how the shortfall will impact the Town’s costs. The plan was to apply for a second grant through the Transportation Alternative program if possible. Pete Fellows at TRORC will complete the application. We won’t know whether we will be awarded the money until January. The original grant was for $351,250 in total costs. But the anticipated cost last fall was $431,408. The new budget total would be $421,250. The local responsibility 20% match would be $84,250. Joyce said she had a problem with all the cost increases. The main reason for the increase is the cost of cement for the floor and walls. The grant is a water mitigation grant due to its proximity to the Tweed. Ann said that now we need to go with the current design, or the Town may have to pay back the Federal funds already expended. Ann said that the question now is should the Town accept the grant, fill out the form and go forward. Joyce questioned the hourly rate for Pete Fellows. She felt that it has increased. Ann said she will look at the contract. Joyce also wanted to know if the second
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 3
November 4, 2021
grant would require more hoops. Ann said she would speak with Pete. Joyce said she isn’t willing to proceed with the second grant until questions are answered. Ann moved to table further discussion until it is determined if there are stipulations the grant and if a maximum figure can be noted in the bid offering. Joyce seconded. It was decided to discuss this issue at the next Budget meeting.
3. Town Office – request for PDF subscription. Louis Cocci, the Assistant Town Clerk & Treasurer has requested that the Town purchase Adobe Acrobat. The cost would be $15.70 per month and cover the five Town computers. Brian from Sequoia Technologies has suggested a program called Nitro with a yearly cost of $175 for one computer for three years. Ann wasn’t sure why this program is needed and why all five computers would need to be able to edit/sign a PDF. Joyce moved to table this to the budget meeting and obtain more information in the meantime as to why it is needed. Ann seconded.
1. Ann said that she hasn’t had the time to check out exterior lights for the Town Hall and Town Office but it’s on her list.
2. Ann said she received an email from Cindy Bryant regarding expanding Christmas decorations on the Gazebo with a tree lighting and caroling. Ann suggested that she and any other Board member meet with Cindy to discuss this further. The Board has been looking at ways to involve the community more in events.
3. Joyce said that she met and talked with someone who plays music in Woodstock and asked if he would be interested in performing In Pittsfield. She told him what was available at the Town Hall. He said he spoke with some other musicians and would be interested
As there was no further business, Ann moved to adjourn the meeting at 6:39pm. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Approved: November 18, 2021
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben