To listen to a recording of the meeting, please click here: https://bit.ly/3nctFdK
DATE: March 16, 2023
PRESENT: Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens, AJ Ruben
PUBLIC PRESENT: Betty Warner-Board of Listers
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: NB#12 – Fire Truck; move Executive Session NB#12 to NB#13
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: March 2, 2023 Regular Meeting Minutes
1. Citizen Concern/Complaint – Mt Wilcox Water overflow concern.
2. Grants – Municipal Energy Resilience Program Grants
1. Insurance – Health Reimbursement Account
2. MRPG – Annual Report
3. Town Plan – Draft of updated proposed amendments
1. Select Board – Organization
2. Select Board – Rules of Procedure
3. Select Board – Conflict of Interest and Ethical Conduct
4. Select Board – Complaint Procedure
5. Select Board – Procurement Policy
6. Appointments – Town Officers
7. Listers – Contractor/Assessor
8. Finance – CD Rates/Investments
9. RCSWD – Outreach Project
10. Town Office – Fuel Prebuy & Invoice
11. Dogs – License deadline
12. Fire Truck – plan to order
13. Executive Session – 1 V.S.A. § 313-(1)(A) Contracts
NEXT MEETING DATE: Thursday, April 6, 2023
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:01pm. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor. Ann introduced the Agenda Modifications (see above). Ann moved to accept. Joyce seconded. All in favor. Ann moved to approve the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of February 16, 2023. AJ seconded. All in favor. Ann explained the annual requirement that the first order of business is reorganization of the Board. Ann moved to take NB#7 out of order and introduced Betty.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 2
March 16, 2023
1. Citizen Concern/Complaint – Mt Wilcox Water overflow concern. Suana Rubin wrote that there has been an overflow from the Mt Wilcox Water supply that has an easement on her property. The overflow has been slowly washing out her driveway in the last few years. She would like to have someone either shut off the water or fix the issue. Ann provided some history on the water system and the Board looked at some maps. The Town owns a parcel of land that housed the water system and the pipes associated with it. Discussion. Ann said that George has looked into this and said it’s not in the Town’s right of way. Ann felt there is a need for more investigation and would need to wait until Spring.
2. Grants – Municipal Energy Resilience Program Grants. Ann explained that the State has opened a Community Capital Mini Grant of $4,000. This will be kept in a folder for the future Energy Coordinator.
1. Insurance – Health Reimbursement Account. Ann reviewed the information presented at the last meeting and explained that the money is actually in a Reserve Account. She added that where the money is dictates how it can be used. With money in a Reserve Account, they are restricted. There is enough available now to fund the ’24-’25 budgets. No more deposits are needed for this fund. It was decided to leave it where it is.
2. MRPG – Annual Report. Ann said we have our permit and permit number. Rita at TRORC has said provided instructions on how to proceed using the ANR portal that has been set up. The Town would need to pay the fee with the permit and Ann noted that the Town has already paid the application fee of $680.00. Ann moved that the Chair sign and submit the permit and pay the fee that’s due. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
3. Town Plan – Draft of updated proposed amendments. The Board reviewed the section of the Town Plan addressing Utilities and Facilities. Ann presented a highlighted copy with edits and a chart depicting the Town’s 5-year Capital Improvement Plan. The Board discussed the suggestions and edits. AJ said he would put the addendums etc. together and bring the document back to the Board. Upcoming meetings were addressed. AJ moved to warn the May 2nd meeting by March 27. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
1. Select Board – Organization. Results: Ann: Chair; AJ: Vice Chair; Joyce: Orders. Joyce moved to accept these positions. AJ seconded. All in favor. Building Committee Chair: Ann. AJ moved to accept. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
2. Select Board – Rules of Procedure. Ann said she would like more details about the buildings. She read her proposed statement to add to this. The Board agreed with adding the statement about the buildings. The Board will keep the current schedule of the 1st and 3rd Thursdays except for the months of July and August. Discussion of one meeting in June. This will be addressed closer to that month. Ann said she will get a “clean” copy and leave it for signatures. Ann made a motion to approve the Rules of Procedure with the one edit that Ann will add and have the Chair sign. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
3. Select Board – Conflict of Interest and Ethical Conduct. Ann said she has no issues with this. She felt that this should be shared with the different departments. Discussion of who it should be sent to. AJ moved to have this sent to the following: Listers, Auditors, Fire Chief, Library Board of Trustees, Road Commissioner, Town Clerk/Treasurer, and Zoning Administer. Seconded by Ann. All in favor. Ann moved to have the Secretary send out copies to be signed, dated, and returned to Trish to the approved departments. Seconded by AJ. All in favor.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 3
March 16, 2023
4. Select Board – Complaint Procedure. Ann moved to approve. AJ seconded. All in favor.
5. Select Board – Procurement Policy. Ann asked if it needed any updating, but the Board felt it was okay.
6. Appointments – Town Officers. (See last page). The Secretary was asked to send out Letters of Appointment. There are still vacancies for some positions. Ann moved to have the Secretary send appointment letters and Ann will work on postings for the positions of Energy Coordinator and Health Officer and have conversations on this topic with other towns. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor.
7. Listers – Contractor/Assessor. Betty explained that the Town has a contract with NEMRC to do assessments following the recent reappraisal. It was thought they would also be providing data entry and some other responsibilities, but it seems now that this is not the case. Betty presented to the Board the idea of training the new Assistant Town Clerk in these duties in addition to his two days as the Assistant Town Clerk. Joyce pointed out that adding hours to the Assistant could create issues. The pay would come from the NEMRC contract. Ideas brought forth included hiring an outside contractor that could be someone from another Town (ex. Lister) or someone doing these jobs in other towns. The idea of hiring a former lister who might already be familiar with most of the duties was offered. Discussion. The Board felt that this had not been explored thoroughly. Betty said she wasn’t sure how many decisions could be made by the Listers vs Select Board. Joyce felt more consideration was needed. Betty felt she was looking for someone with longevity. Ann said she liked the idea of bringing in another independent contractor. This will be discussed more at a later time.
8. Finance – CD Rates/Investments. Ann said that she went online to see what other banks are offering. Each fund would be done separately. The funds would be reviewed to see what might be needed in the near future. Joyce said she would speak with Henry Hotchkiss and other professionals. Trish will also be consulted. Formal action on this was tabled until the next meeting.
9. RCSWD – Outreach Project. The Town has been asked to host a PAT (Project Advisory Team) meeting. The District has received a grant that lets them fund recycling and compost rates. They would like the Select Board to bring in stakeholders to the meeting and the District would make a presentation. It could be at a regular April Select Board meeting or a separate meeting. Potential attendees were presented. There was concern about the length of the meeting. The date of April 13th was proposed decided on.
10. Town Office – Fuel Prebuy & Invoice. Last year’s prebuy and useage was reviewed. Ann had a question regarding the current invoice. Discussion. Joyce said she would speak with CV Oil.
11. Dogs – License deadline. The deadline is March 30 and fees must be in the hands of the Town Office by 5pm or in the drop box. Ann said the letter needed an update (dates, etc.). The Board authorized Trish to send out the letters to unlicensed dog owners as of April 1st. Ann moved that the Board update the Notice of Violation and Penalty for Dog Licensing. AJ seconded. All in favor.
12. Fire Truck – plan to order. Joyce said that she spoke with the Chief, and they are waiting for both estimates. Right now, they have said that the new truck can be ordered with no money down and that there is a 2-year wait for delivery. Joyce said she is asking the Board to authorize the fire department to place an order for the new truck when they have decided on which estimate to accept and then they will share the estimates with the Board. Ann felt she would like to see and compare the estimates before they place the order. Discussion. The majority of the Board decided that the Fire Department could order the new truck when the bids have been received and then present the estimates to the Select Board. But no formal vote was taken to authorize the fire department to order the truck.
13. Executive Session – 1 V.S.A. § 313-(1)(A) Contracts. Ann moved to enter into Executive Session at 8:26pm.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 4
March 16, 2023
Ann moved to reopen the Regular Meeting at 8:59pm. AJ seconded. All in favor. Ann moved to authorize the payment of the latest invoice from the Town Attorney. AJ seconded. All in favor. The meeting concluded at 9:00pm with no further business.
NEXT MEETING DATE: Thursday, April 6, 2023 @ 6pm in the Town Hall.
Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 5
March 16, 2023
The Pittsfield Select Board made the following appointments/reappointments at their meeting on the 16th of March, 2023:
Building Advisory Board:
Richard Gaston reappointment exp. 2024
Herb Kuendig reappointment exp. 2024
Mike Moran reappointment exp. 2024
Jeremy Rayner reappointment exp. 2024
Glenn Reinauer reappointment exp. 2024
David Colton reappointment exp. 2024
Greg Martin reappointment exp. 2024
Delegates to EC Fibernet Governing Board
Elizabeth Warner reappointment exp. 2024
Herb Kuendig, Alt. reappointment exp. 2024
Michelle Hunt reappointment exp. 2024
Emergency Management Coordinators
Robert Giolito reappointment exp. 2024
Ryan Thompson reappointment exp. 2024
Connie Martin reappointment exp. 2024
George Deblon reappointment exp. 2024
Rutland County Solid Waste District (WCSWD) Representative
Ann Kuendig reappointment exp. 2024
Sarah Gallagher appointment exp. 2024
Kris Sperber appointment exp. 202
Two Rivers Planning Commission (TRORC) Representative
Sarah Gallagher reappointment exp. 2024
Unemployment Compensation Commissioner
Tricia Abbondelo reappointment exp. 2024
AJ. Ruben reappointment exp. 2024
Zoning Board of Adjustment
Donald Bass reappointment exp. 2024
David Larkin reappointment exp. 2024
White River Valley Consortium Representatives
Jordan Stevens reappointment exp. 2024
Dana Decker, Alt reappointment exp. 2024