PITTSFIELD SELECT BOARD REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
To listen to a recording of the meeting please click here: https://bit.ly/3ErIZYF
DATE: November 17, 2022
PRESENT: Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens, AJ Ruben
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: November 3, 2022 Regular Meeting
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: email from Robert Leitch to Road Commissioner – C#1
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: November 3, 2022 Regular Meeting Minutes
1. Citizen Concern/Complaint – email from Robert Leitch to Road Commissioner
1. Grants – Diesel Emissions Reduction Grant update
2. Grants – FEMA Aid to Firefighters grant update
3. Town Hall – Usage/Rental Policy
4. Recreation – Plan
5. Town Hall – projects update
1. Workshop – Community Engagement
2. Treasurer’s Report – October Financials
3. Budget – schedule
4. Executive Session – 1 V.S.A. §313 (1) (E) probably civil litigation
1. Special Budget Meetings:
Tuesday, November 22, 2022 @5-7:00pm Town Office
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:05pm. Seconded by AJ. All in favor. Ann presented an Agenda Modification (see above) and Joyce moved to accept. AJ seconded. All in favor. Joyce moved to accept the Minutes of November 3, 2022 Regular Meeting. AJ seconded. All in favor.
1. Citizen Concern/Complaint – email from Robert Leitch to Road Commissioner. Bob said that he had been to his property on Forsha Road and noticed some erosion on the uphill side of the road across from his property. He felt further erosion would occur from continued roadside excavation, cutting
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 2
November 17, 2022
of trees, and exposure of tree root systems. He requests that a permit process be implemented to require only qualified contractors to do road work and that landowners not be allowed to communicate with roadside landowners regarding future work. This should be the sole responsibility of the Town for work withing the Right of Way. He offered to meet with George and walk the road to further discuss this. Ann moved to accept the correspondence and wait for George to respond before responding to Bob. AJ seconded. All in favor.
1. Grants – Diesel Emissions Reduction Grant update. Ann said that George contacted the grant-writer and gave him figures for a new grader ($280,000 + 2 options = $318,000). Tom is drafting the application and the Board will have it before the November 29th deadline. It was noted that if grant money is accepted, no action can be taken with the old grader except to junk it. Ann also explained that some information is needed, including the number of hours it is used.
2. Grants – FEMA Aid to Firefighters grant update. Ann said that she heard from the grant-writer, and he is interested. There is a 14-page checklist that will need completion. The grant-writer is unable to do this. Ann clarified that the grant application period opens in January, 2023. Ann moved to send the checklist to the fire-fighters for them to complete and also let them know that the application period opens in January 2023. Seconded by AJ. All in favor. Ann said she would take care of this.
3. Town Hall – Usage/Rental Policy. Ann said she wanted to look at it and review it. Discussion. A fee schedule was discussed based on the applicant’s status as a resident/non-resident/property owner. Basic rules for the building’s use and clean-up requirements such as a one-time cleaning fee and responsibilities of the user were discussed. The use of alcohol was put on hold until more is known about what’s required.
4. Recreation – Plan. Ann said she spoke with Suzanne Ellis about managing the rental of the Town Hall. She wasn’t interested in taking on the position but suggested a Recreation Committee similar to the Building Committee. Suzanne did say she would solicit members for the committee and Ann felt she would like to see what people would like to see the building being used for. This may evolve into something.
5. Town Hall – projects update. Ann explained that Craig Peterson has done a little work on the electric but has said the Committee will need to find someone else to finish the contract. Craig asked Dave McKinnon to come in and do the fire alarm system relocation. This was done and an invoice sent for $2,289.98. Ann asked the Board to approve that part of the electrical contract using the undesignated funds. She also asked the Board for approval of the payment for a new front door. Prices were discussed. The Committee at their last meeting hired Steve Fuchs Woodwork of Killington who will build a custom door for $3,500. It will be made of panels of mahogany, sanded and ready for primer and paint. This money would come from the Town Hall Reserve Fund. He needs a $1,000 deposit for materials. The Board was okay with approving both payments. The Board talked about the electrical issue. An estimate was received from Mike Juris but not Lubek Electric. Another estimate is expected from another contractor. Ann said that some of the electrical jobs can be done by the Committee. Joyce expressed her concern about getting heat. Lubek will only do the panel, but the walls and ceiling will need wiring. Ann said the Committee would like to put out to bid work on the exterior projects. Ann made up an official bid and moved to have the Board approve the language of the bid which could be posted. AJ seconded. All in favor. The Select Board will accept the bids.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 3
November 17, 2022
1. Workshop – Community Engagement. Betty sent information about having Rebecca Stone meet with the Board/community members and speak about a community engagement seminar. Rebecca is part of a consulting firm. Ann said she sees this more as how to put events together or reach out to community members. Joyce felt it was more of a Library program. Ann said she would speak more with Betty about this.
2. Treasurer’s Report – October Financials. Tabled to the next regular meeting.
3. Budget – schedule. Ann felt that two more meetings would be needed. It was decided to move next Tuesday’s meeting until after Thanksgiving and change the time from 6-7:30pm. (See Next Meetings).
4. Executive Session – 1 V.S.A. §313 (1) (E) probably civil litigation. Ann moved to enter into Executive Session at 7:08pm to discuss probable civil litigation. The Board came out of Executive Session at 7:22pm. Ann moved that the town would seek the advice of the Town Attorney in moving forward to settle the dispute over payment of material overages incurred during construction of the Sand Shed. AJ seconded. All in favor. The Chair will schedule an Executive Session to discuss the response at the November 29th Budget Meeting.
1. Special Budget Meetings:
Tuesday, November 29, 2022 @6-7:30pm Town Office
Thursday, December 1, 2022 @5-6pm Town Office
Thursday, December 15, 2022 @5-6pm Town Office
2. Regular Meetings:
Thursday, December 1, 2022 @6pm Town Office
Thursday, December 15, 2022 @ 6pm Town Office
Ann adjourned the regular meeting at 7:24pm. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor.
Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben