DATE: 22 January, 2018
PRESENT: Peter Borden, Matt Corron, Charles Piso, Patty Haskins, Dave Colton
Public Present: Dave Colton – Pittsfield Volunteer Fire & Rescue (PVF&R)
- 2018 Town Meeting/Budget Preparations
- Procurement Policy, Town of Pittsfield
- Job Transition Planning
- 2018 IRS Standard Mileage Rate
Next Meeting Dates: January 25, 2018, 8 a.m. (Special Meeting); February 6, 2018, 6:00 p.m. (Regular Meeting)
Motion to call the meeting to order was made by Charlie at 8:00 a.m., seconded by Peter, and the meeting opened.
Public Present: Dave (PVFR) and the Board discussed the wording for the proposed article requesting funds for the purchase of a new pumper/tanker for PVFR. The proposed new pumper/tanker would replace the 1990 tanker (milk tank), once delivered, and the 1990 tanker would be sold with the proceeds returned to the Town to be applied to offset some of the purchase/financing costs. Estimated revenue from the sale is +$10,000. The current 1994 pumper/tanker has a smaller 1200-gallon capacity and is easier to drive than the 1990 pumper. It was purchased from Rutland Town. This vehicle would not be replaced when it is no longer viable. Dave and the Board agreed that the article as worded by VLCT was acceptable. “Shall the voters of Pittsfield authorize the purchase of a Pumper/Tanker Fire Apparatus in an amount not to exceed $200,000, to be financed over a period not to exceed 5 years?”
- 2018 Town Meeting/Budget Preparations. See Public Present. A motion to approve the article with the language proposed by VLCT was made by Peter, “Shall the voters of Pittsfield authorize the purchase of a Pumper/Tanker Fire Apparatus in an amount not to exceed $200,000, to be financed over a period not to exceed 5 years?”, seconded by Matt and carried. There was some discussion concerning the article originally proposed by the Select Board, to set aside funds over time for the future purchase of the vehicle. This option would slow the process and lessen the impact on property taxes. A motion to include this article, “Will the voters of Pittsfield authorize $35,000 to be placed in a town reserve fund for the future purchase of a fire truck?” was made by Peter, seconded by Matt, and carried. Patty reminded the Board that the amounts for some park and parking signage, along with the cost of re-lining the parking area had not been included in the budget. Estimated at $1000 each, these items were added to the proposed budget.
- Procurement Policy. The Board had again reviewed the Procurement Policy which had been proposed in April of 2017. A motion to accept the Procurement Policy as presented was made by Charlie, seconded by Matt, and carried.
- Job Transition Planning. Patty presented a revision to her report, following suggestions made by Peter to post the job and related information on the website and provide a separate email address for submission of required information by applicants. Patty also provided the Board with the current Town Clerk and Treasurer job descriptions, and also reminded them that much of what she does is not part of the Town Clerk and Treasurer position, but as the need to be a central point of communication grew, she took on responsibilities beyond the scope of the job. This will need to be part of the discussion going forward. The Board agreed to review the materials and meet at a special meeting set for 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 25, 2018.
- Standard IRS Mileage Rate, 2018. The IRS has set the standard mileage reimbursement rate at .545 for 2018. Motion to accept made by Peter, seconded by Charlie, and carried.
Next Meeting Dates: January 25, 2018, 8:00 a.m. (Special meeting); February 6, 2018, 6:00 p.m. (Regular meeting)
Adjournment: Motion to adjourn at 10:04 a.m. by Matt, seconded by Peter and carried.
Approved: January 25, 2018 Recorded by: Sarah Gallagher