DATE: January 5, 2016
PRESENT: Matt Corron, Wendy Reese, Patty Haskins, Dave Larkin, Ann and Herb Kuendig, George Deblon
Agenda Modifications: Minutes Approval Emergency Meeting Dec. 23, 2015; New Business 5. Road Commissioner personal/sick time
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting 12/15/2015; Emergency Meeting 12/23/15
Public Present: Ann and Herb Kuendig
- Vermont Veterans Home Link
- VLCT News
- Division of Property Valuation and Review
- Better Backroads Grants
- FEMA update
- Rutland Resolution – Renewable Energy Projects
- CDBG Final Requisitions Deadline
- Proposed Park Recommendations
- Quintown Senior Center Donation Request
- FEMA Garage
- Timberline Events Parking
- VTrans 2016 District Leveling Project Prioritization
- TH #15
1. Town Auditor Resignation
2. Rutland County Sheriff’s Law Enforcement Contract
3. CTI Service Agreement Options
4. Clerk/ Treasurer Report
a. December Financials
b. Continue 2016 Budgeting
c. Town Report Preparation
5. Road Commissioner personal/sick time
- Town Office Front Door repair
Next Regular Meeting: Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 6:00 p.m.
Matt motioned to open the meeting; Wendy seconded; the meeting was called to order at 5:58 p.m. Agenda modifications: Minutes Approval Emergency Meeting Dec. 23, 2015; and New Business 5. Road Commissioner personal/sick time. Wendy motioned to approve the December 15, 2015 Regular Select Board meeting minutes; Dave seconded. Minutes approved. Wendy motioned to approve the December 23, 2015 Emergency Select Board meeting minutes; Dave has not reviewed thoroughly and has some corrections/concerns. Board members will check their e-mails and notes for clarification so Wendy can finalize the minutes. Approval for 12/23/15 Minutes is on hold until next meeting.
Public Present: Ann and Herb Kuendig re: Water line for Brown’s new well across Kuendig’s driveway; Kuendig property deed and Town Highway Map discrepancy. Driveway is shared by Kuendig’s and Browns; the Browns have a right-of-way. According to the deed this section of property belongs to the Kuendig’s. The Browns needed to install a new well and the line crosses TH#15 and a section of the shared driveway. Proper permits were obtained by the Brown’s. Town Highway Map indicates this section of the driveway belongs to the town. The Kuendig’s research shows otherwise. Their concerns are 1. Who is liable for any issues with water line; 2. Why wasn’t the Town Highway Map updated to reflect the change; and 3. Driveway was a rough ‘cart path’ and this section has been greatly improved thus it looks like a two-lane road that narrows to a cart path. The Kuendig’s would like 1. An easement for the water line; 2. Correct the Town Highway Map; and 3. Improve the rest of the driveway. George will check with the State about Quit Claim Deed. The Certificate of Mileage from the State was just received and this correction would need to be submitted for the annual update. The Board will check with VLCT for input on process to correct the situation. The Board hopes to have some information for the Kuendig’s by the first meeting in February.
- Vermont Veterans Home is requesting towns to add a link to their websites. The town does not currently add links. Patty will see if the website has a “Resource” tab and then Board may need to discuss a policy for adding links.
- VLCT News for January received. No action taken.
- Notice from VT Department of Taxes with the annual report of Property Valuation and Review (Grand Lists) received for equalized municipal property value. The Listers reviewed and no petition required.
- Better Back Roads Grants now available. The program supports projects on town roads that improve water quality and result in maintenance cost savings. Information forwarded to the Road Commissioner.
- FEMA announcements on trainings and workshops. The Debris Management Plan may be of interest to Peter Borden. Matt will forward information to Peter. FEMA also has a new Public Assistance Policy Guide available on-line.
- Rutland Resolution – Renewable Energy Projects: Update from Swanton Wind Opposition organization encouraging towns to sign the Rutland Resolution that was distributed a year ago. The resolution addresses the input of municipalities regarding the siting of renewable energy projects in certificate of public good proceedings before the PSB. Pittsfield signed on last year. The Resolution will be presented to the Governor January 20, 2016.
- CDBG Final Requisitions Deadline - Bob Ennis, TRORC, reminding the town all projects are to be completed by September 30, 2016 in order to receive funds.
- Proposed Park Recommendations – Loss Prevention rep walked the proposed park area and provided recommendations to keep in mind when developing the plan. All items were low priority. List forwarded to Matt Murawski.
- Quintown Senior Center Donation Request – They have been increasing donation requests by 5% a year. This past year they have provided 7 meals a week to one resident in Pittsfield; they do not document who attends the holiday meals. Board will take this into consideration for budget.
- FEMA Garage – Building on former Halligan property was an oversight per Bob Ennis of TRORC. The project is closed on the State level however it is not closed on the Federal level. A letter has been sent to FEMA and they will provide funds to remove the structure. Matt will let George know to remove town property from garage.
- Timberline Events Parking – Exchange area for this event will be moved to the Green between the Town Hall and Town Office. Timberline to supply their own portable toilet. If bridge work at Lower Michigan Road is underway then Timberline may need to provide someone to direct participants through the construction zone.
- VTrans 2016 District Leveling Project Priorization – TRORC requesting input for the 8 projects. None affect Pittsfield. No action taken.
- TH#15 – See Public Present: Ann and Herb Kuendig
1. Town Auditor Resignation – Jessica Fuster has resigned. Board has decided not to appoint an interim Auditor as it is so close to Town Meeting.
2. Rutland County Sheriff’s Law Enforcement Contract – New contract received for $5,000 worth of services over twelve months. Previous contract covered nine months. This equals three visits a month. Matt motioned to approve the contract; Wendy seconded; motion carried.
3. CTI Service Agreement Options – Specific to the HVAC system in the Town Office. Maintenance/Service Agreements are high: Task-Based $4,652/year; Self-Directed $4,280/year. Patty will ask for a quote on doing an annual maintenance/preventative service.
4. Clerk/ Treasurer Report
a. December Financials – No reports as all materials have not been received.
b. 2016 Budgeting – Feds have changed Mileage Rate from .575 per mile to .54 per mile. Wendy motioned to adopt the new Federal Mileage Rate for 2016; Matt seconded; motion carried. Board agreed to include QuinTown Senior Center request as presented. Neighborworks is not requesting donations this year. George is requesting to start a reserve fund for the sand shed. Wendy motioned to add a Sand Shed Reserve Fund; Matt seconded; motion carried. Erica is requesting funds to assist or match existing funds for re-surfacing and repair of basketball court. No funding at this time and encourages grant exploration to help fund this project. Board discussed various projects to be considered for the Town Hall and will warn for Town Meeting. Wendy motioned to make changes to Town Meeting Warning as discussed; Matt seconded; motion carried. Final Town Warning will be ready at 1/21/16 meeting. VLCT is hosting “Town Meeting Tune-Up” workshop Feb. 3, 2016. Wendy or Matt may attend and will inform Patty.
c. Town Report Preparation - Martha and Erica are keeping the Town Report moving along according to the time line.
5. Road Commissioner personal/sick time – George has requested to rollover remaining time into 2016. Matt motioned to allow the rollover just for this year; Wendy seconded; motion carried. George also updated the Board on time off and coverage arrangements.
1. Weather strip/sweep along bottom of front outside door of Town Office is shredded. Dave looked at and will pick up/replace stripping.
Meeting Schedule: Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 21, 2016.
Adjournment: Wendy motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:40 p.m.; Matt seconded; meeting adjourned.
Approved: January 21, 2016 Recorded by: Tyna Gallagher