DATE: February 2, 2016
PRESENT: Wendy Reese, Patty Haskins, Matt Corron, Janice Stumpf, Jennifer Howard
Agenda Modifications: NB #2a. January Financials; NB #2b. Boiler repair; and NB #2c. Planning Commission resignation
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting 1/21/2016
- Janice Stumpf, Delinquent Tax Collector
- Tyler Wren re: Farm to Fork Fondo 2016
- TH #15
- Select Board Policy on responsibilities
- Town Clerk/Treasurer
b. Boiler repair
c. Planning Commission resignation
Next Meeting Date: February 16, 2016
Wendy motioned to open the meeting; Matt seconded; the meeting was called to order at 6:03 p.m.
Agenda Modifications: New Business 2a. January Financials; NB #2b. Boiler repair; and NB #2c. Planning Commission resignation
Minutes Approval: Wendy motioned to approve the February 21, 2016 Regular Select Board meeting minutes; Matt seconded; minutes approved.
- Janice Stumpf, Delinquent Tax Collector: Janice will not be able to attend Town Meeting and would like to be nominated to fulfill the position again. She updated the Board on delinquent tax items should any questions come up at Town Meeting. Janice has mapped out a plan for resolving three ongoing tax issues that would require Marylou Scofield’s expertise. Wendy moved the Board supports the Delinquent Tax Collector to contact the town attorney for help on resolving the three ongoing tax issues; Matt seconded; motion carried.
- Tyler Wren re: Farm to Fork Fondo 2016 – Scheduled for July 17, 2016 at Riverside Farm. He requested a letter of support from the Select Board in order to obtain state approval to allow 2 bicyclists abreast to enter the state highway at the start of the event. Wendy moved to have Tyler pursue approval with the state; Matt seconded; motion carried.
- TH #15 – Patty researched records from 1972 and forward to determine if the property in question by the Kuendigs was discontinued and now part of their property. Maps and minutes are not clear. The Board reviewed the information and the exact location of the .03 section of TH #15 is unclear. Wendy moved to have Patty pursue the following items with the town attorney Marylou Scofield: What/where is TH #15; easement issues; and who is responsible for the driveway/who owns it; Matt seconded; motion carried.
- Select Board Policy on responsibilities – Matt, Wendy, and Patty had not received notice from Dave regarding who would be fulfilling his building duties while he was away. Nor did he give any estimate for length of time away. Neglect of duties has been discussed previously by the board. Wendy conferred with Garrett Baxter, Senior Staff Attorney at VLCT regarding adopting a specific policy for the board on responsibilities and consequences of not meeting the responsibilities. Referring to page 13 of the VLCT Selectboard Handbook, it states: Notwithstanding that there is no provision for removing a local official from office, keep in mind that selectboard members who willfully neglect to perform the express or implied duties imposed upon them by law may be imprisoned for up to one year or fined up to $1,000 or both, 13 V.S.A. § 3006, and town officers who neglect their duties, whether willfully or not, may be fined up to $100. 24 V.S.A. § 902. Vermont courts have found a selectperson personally liable for “ordinary and simple neglect to perform his duties. State v. Baldwin, 116 Vt. 112, 70 A.2d 242 (1949). The board decided that no action will be taken at this time, however in light of Dave’s absence and lack of communication Wendy moved the board re-organize assignment of duties; Matt seconded; motion carried. Wendy and Matt will share responsibility of town buildings until Town Meeting. The board will discuss further at future meetings.
- Town Clerk/Treasurer
- a. January Financials – reviewed, no questions.
- b. Boiler repair – heat was not working 2/1/16. Patty contacted CV Oil and found a valve error. They re-started it and recommend waiting on replacing the valve. It’s an expensive part and may not need to be replaced yet.
- c. Planning Commission resignation – Bruce Shaw resigned the position. He is away for work too much to be able to contribute to the commission. They are looking for a replacement.
Other: Wendy spoke with Corey Novotny on status of completing the Town Hall entrance. He should be finished Thursday February 4, 2016. Patty suggested the Board add sealing and painting the cinder block and concrete steps in this entryway area to the building maintenance list. The area looks really good now and doing this would put the finishing touches on it.
Meeting Schedule: Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 16, 2016.
Adjournment: Wendy motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:06 p.m.; Matt seconded; meeting adjourned.
Approved: 2/23/2016 Recorded by: Tyna Gallagher
Dave Larkin not in attendance