“To listen to a recording of the meeting please click here”:https://fccdl.in/kjBRXHAJ9p
DATE: April 15, 2021
PRESENT: Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens, A.J. Ruben
PUBLIC PRESENT: Tricia Fryer, Tim Carter
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: Town Hall Project Update – OB#3
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: April 1, 2021 Regular Meeting
1. EAB Community Kits
1. LEMP 2021 – Approval
2. Sand Shed Project – Update
3. Town Hall Project - Update
1. March Financials
2 2021 Projects & Goals
3 Declaration of Inclusion
4. Pandemic Restrictions, Public Meetings, & EOC Update
5. Town Office – Meeting Calendar & Security
NEXT MEETING DATE: Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 6:00pm at the Town Office and Virtually
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:01pm. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor. There was one Agenda Modification (see above)per motion by Ann, Joyce seconded. A.J. made a motion to accept the Minutes of the April 1, 2021 Regular Meeting. Joyce seconded. All in favor. Ann moved to take OB#1 out of order since there was public present.
1. Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) Community Kits. These kits are being provided to the first seven communities that apply. The kit includes posters and publicity ideas. A.J. suggested forwarding this to Jeremy Rayner, Tree Warden for his review.
1. LEMP 2021 – Approval. Ann said that she forwarded this update to Doug Mianulli, Tim Carter, and David Colton for their review. The list of people living alone or in need of assistance had been reviewed and changes made as needed. The contact person for the Town Hall Shelter is pending, but Joyce said if
Sarah Gallagher isn’t available, she would do it. Trish noted that an AED (defibrillator) for the office was still needed as well as a good first aid kit. It was suggested she check with the State Health Department or Emergency Management Department. Approval was given for the purchase of a first aid kit. These items for the Library were also suggested. Ann noted that there is still time to send TRORC final approval of the LEMP.
2. Sand Shed Project – Update. Joyce presented an update on the figures for the project. She noted that Trish had received some money (approximately $20k in grant reimbursements for this project) a few days ago. Ann said that she met with Building Advisory Board members Tim Carter, Herb Kuendig, and Mike Moran and went through the numbers, options and communications. It was determined it would be best to continue with the project as far as finishing the currently contracted for work but then putting off completion until next year, with a plan to apply for additional funds in August when grants open up. The project can be worked on while applying for any grants. Ann said she spoke with TRORC and there seemed to be some confusion regarding bids and the timeline, so further investigation there is needed. George was asked if the shed was safe enough to put off for another year. He had said that he has been buying half a load at a time to decrease stress on the structure. It was felt that the cost of materials will probably continue to increase if we wait, however due to the pandemic, building materials are extraordinarily costly now. The project is expected to take between six to eight weeks to complete. Joyce suggested putting it out to bid between November ’21 and January ’22. Ann made a motion to put the sand shed project on hold, continue to obtain construction documents, finalize them, and have TRORC apply for grants. Joyce seconded. All were in favor. It was also noted that currently there haven’t been any more issues with the sand shed.
3. Town Hall Project – Update. Ann said that Phase One has been successful and came in under budget. Support of the first floor structure and water mitigation in the basement is being investigated. While removing wall material in the basement the foundation was found to be severely damaged. Masons were brought in to assess the damage to the west and south walls and the committee has discussed the bids that have been received. It was felt that with the use of George and Dave and Town equipment, a lot of the trenching/grading could be done by volunteers. This would reduce the cost of the repairs. Currently there is about $12,000 available. If these repairs are not completed, it could hold up other projects. Ann made a motion to 1) request approval for George and Town equipment to work on the project and 2) approve the withdrawal of funds to cover the cost of waterproofing and grading. Joyce seconded. All in favor. Ann said that she submitted an application to AARP for a grant of $20,000. Joyce said she spoke with Pat Fuster regarding the Historical Society’s move to the Town Office basement. It was suggested the fire department help with the move but perhaps professional movers could move the cabinets. Joyce said she will plan to attend the April 19thmeeting of the committee to get a date for the move.
1. March Financials. There were no questions. A.J. moved to accept. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
2. 2021 Projects & Goals. Ann outlined current as well as possible future projects. These included:
· Current: finish assembling the swings in the playground (need bolts); reach out to the Delinquent Tax Collector regarding the three properties (land locked/not buildable, ? fire sale); the cemetery project (George is to prepare bids); the Culvert #33 project; and VT Alerts classes.
· Future: change the start of the fiscal calendar year from January to July (need for a 6-month or 18-month budget); review the recreation area behind the Town Hall/Town Office (teeter-totter, slides, basketball court, tire swing, expansion of use); set up an inspection schedule for the Town buildings; ways to improve communications with residents (improvements to the “P sign” with plexiglass, addition of List-Serve to website that can auto-send messages to subscribers); learn more about affordable housing; monthly activities in the village (concerts, forums, lectures).
3. Declaration of Inclusion. This document had been sent to Board members for their review. Ann made a motion to adopt this Declaration of Inclusion, have the Board members sign it, and have Trish post it on the Town’s website and bulletin boards. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
4. Pandemic Restrictions, Public Meetings, & EOC Update. Per the Governor’s 4-point plan, after May 1stmeetings can be held in public and the Town Office can re-open without an appointment if Trish permits. Select Board meetings can resume in-person. It was felt that the public should continue to be offered the option to attend virtually and recorded. Emergency Management Co-director Doug Mianulli does not feel that the Emergency Operation Center (EOC) needs to continue to be open and suggested it be de-mobilized. Ann motioned to close the EOC on Doug’s advice and will notify the State. A.J. seconded. All in favor.
5. Town Office – Meeting Calendar & Security. The basement of the Town Office Building is now the new home of the Historical Society, but has also been the meeting place for several Boards and Committee’s meetings. Until the Town Hall reopens and meetings can be held there, access will be needed to the basement room. Chuck Colton would like to see the basement locked to help protect the Society’s displays. Trish has expressed her concern about not allowing meetings in the Town Office after regular business hours. The Secretary was asked to send letters to the School Board, Planning Commission, and Historical Society asking when each plans to resume in-person meetings so that a calendar can be set up noting when the area will need access. Ann said she felt that there were keys to the building whose whereabouts are unknown and suggested having the locks changed on the two outside doors and the basement door and will ask Trish to ask Royal to provide an estimate.
1. Flags/Bunting on Bandstand. Tim Carter said that the flags/bunting on the bandstand last summer should be red, white and blue. Not red, white, and brown. Ann said that they were antique banners and that’s why there was a color difference. His concern was noted.
2. Status of George’s arm injury. Joyce asked about George’s arm, which he injured at work. Ann said a claim had been filed with Workers Comp and that he has had an MRI and is not undergoing physical therapy.
NEXT MEETING DATE: Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 6:00pm in the Town Office Building basement and virtually. A link will be provided.
As there was not further business to conduct, Joyce made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:30pm. A.J. seconded. All in favor.
s/Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Approved: May 6, 2021
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben