To listen to a recording of the meeting please click here: https://bit.ly/3rmFq0p
DATE: April 7, 2022
PRESENT:Ann Kuendig, AJ Ruben, Joyce Stevens
PUBLIC PRESENT: In Person: State Representative James Harrison, Betty Warner; Via Teams: Brett Yates
AGENDA MODIFICATIONS: Driveway Permit – Hotchkiss NB7
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: March 17, 2022 Regular Meeting
- Town Treasurer – Correspondence
- VT Rural Fire Protection – Grant Program
- Killington – Notice of Hazard Mitigation Plan
- TRORC – project selection process: bridges
1. ARPA Rescue Plan – First Report – Lost Revenue Certification
2. Grants – List: Cultural Facilities Program
3. Town Officials – Appointed/Elected Vacancies: EC Fiber Board of Governors, RCSWD Board of Supervisors
4. Town Hall – Lift Roof follow-up
5. Sand Shed – Construction Contract Approval
1. Meet & Greet – State Representative James Harrison. Jim
2. Board of Listers – Reappraisal Mailing
3. Library – Maintenance
4. LEMP – Review
5. Town Meeting – Preparations
6. Dogs – Licenses
7. Driveway Permit - Hotchkiss
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: Thursday, April 21, 2022 6pm Town Hall
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:01pm. Ann moved to accept the Agenda Modifications (see above). Seconded by AJ. All in favor. AJ moved to accept the Minutes of the March 17, 2022 Regular Meeting. Ann seconded. All in favor. Ann proceeded to introduce State Representative James Harrison.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 2
April 7, 2022
- Town Treasurer – Correspondence. This was in response to questions that the Board had at the last meeting regarding the monthly financial report and overbudgeted items for the Highway, Library, and Town. The Town Clerk felt that this information should be on the record. The Board was concerned that next year’s budget should be raised for these items. Tricia sent the following in an email reply:
“> Highway- as far as the Highway Dept., those are questions for George. He makes his budget and Joyce approves the orders. I will say this, the total for "Fuel" is $5,200.00 I am sure he is looking at the total. Don't think you need to be concerned.
> Library- the line-item Supplies (office/cleaning), $250. Is Budgeted, they are under budget to date $107.03
> Ambulance was Jan-Mar, we pay a little before the 1st. I will make sure that we only pay 6mo and July's waits until after the 1st.
> Advertising- unfortunately, I did not get the bill for the Assistant ad that was run in Dec until well into Jan. $240.00, Legal ad for Special Town Meeting $67.73 and I also ran the assistant ad again in Feb.”
- VT Rural Fire Protection – Grant Program. This annual grant pertains to dry hydrants. The Secretary was asked to forward this to the Fire Department for their input before placing it on the Grant List.
- Killington – Notice of Hazard Mitigation Plan. This notification indicates that Killington’s plan has been updated and outlines their review process.
- TRORC – project selection process: bridges. This is a listing of prioritized projects. There are none pertaining to Pittsfield.
1. ARPA Rescue Plan – First Report – Lost Revenue Certification. Ann said that she and Tricia attended a webinar recently. She explained that towns were urged by TRORC and VLCT to categorize the standard allowance as revenue replacement. It was the easiest way to report how the money was spent and wouldn’t be questioned by the Feds. She explained how that could be done.
2. Grants – List: Cultural Facilities Program. This program’s application is due May 2nd, which does not give enough time to develop the project. It was felt that if we could wait until next year, the time would be available to develop the project and prepare it properly. It was felt that at least 3 months would be needed for this. Ann said that she sees the Fire Department using the grant writer. AJ made a motion to engage the grant writer and have him meet with the Fire Department meet to discuss developing a work plan for this December grant. Joyce seconded. All in favor. Ann said she would send a note to Tom and Caleb.
3. Town Officials – Appointed/Elected Vacancies: EC Fiber Board of Governors, RCSWD Board of Supervisors. Ann said she has the resolution for the EC Fiber Governing Board appointing Betty Warner as the primary representative to attend the Board meetings and Herb Kuendig as Alternate. Ann moved to accept these appointments. Seconded by AJ. All in favor. Ann will sign and send. Ann said that she has asked Suana Bicek to assume the primary representative to the Rutland County Solid Waste District Board but has not heard back. Currently Ann is primary and would then assume the alternate position. This item will be tabled until the next meeting.
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 3
April 7, 2022
4. Town Hall – Lift Roof follow-up. Ann said that Eric has done most of the work. She would like to purchase of a motion sensor LED light and asked if the Board would authorize her to make the purchase. AJ moved to authorize Ann to make this purchase. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor. Ann added that she would also get the lights for the Town Office and she and Herb would get them installed.
5. Sand Shed – Construction Contract Approval. The Board was asked to review the Town of Pittsfield Sand She Replacement STP MM19(14) Construction Contract between the Town of Pittsfield and G&N Excavation, Inc. The project completion date is October 1, 2022. AJ moved to authorize Ann to sign the contract. Joyce seconded. All in favor. Ann said that the contractor would submit their invoices and the Town would pay them. The Town would then submit a request for an 80% payment of the invoices to TRORC. She went on to review the financing and questions were addressed.
1. Meet & Greet – State Representative James Harrison. He introduced himself as Pittsfield’s new State Representative pending redistricting approval and reelection. The new district would consist of Pittsfield, Killington, Mendon, and Chittenden. He added that even though he is not our current representative, feel free to contact him. He noted his professional background and highlighted bills currently being studied that could affect our municipality. These included the topics of transportation, school taxes, the Yield Bill, Ideal Initiative, and dispatch. Ann asked about getting help from the State in repaving Route 100, which has been on a list for several years but keeps getting pushed back. She added that budgeting for the repaving of The Green is tied into that and if the work isn’t going to be done this year, the money could be used for something else. He said he would look into it. She also asked about lowering the speed limit through the village. Jim said the State could come and do a survey. The Town has tried to get the speed sign to monitor vehicle speed for several years also. Betty asked a question about the Ideal Initiative. Jim was thanked for attending.
2. Board of Listers – Reappraisal Mailing. Betty provided an update on the reappraisal. She said that a booklet would be mailed to all property owners on May 18thand would include the Change of Appraisal Notice, a page of facts relating to the reappraisal, and an alphabetical listing by owner. The owner listing would include their property ID#, the previous value, the new value, and homestead status. She said that the average increase was 22% with the median at 1.17%. Betty went on to said that NEMRC will hold informational meetings on May 2-3 from 9am to 3pm. Appointments would be required. There would be 3 members of NEMRC there. Two would oversee the meeting and if a clarification/concern about the property is needed, the third person would go with the homeowner and make a site visit. Betty emphasized that this meeting would not deal with any grievances, just information. Annual Grievance Hearings are scheduled for May 9-10 and again would require an appointment and last approximately 15 minutes. There was some discussion and questions from the Board about reappraisal questions from the floor at Town Meeting. It was felt by all that this should not be permitted as it would take up too much time. Betty offered that the Listers could hold an informational meeting after Town Meeting to address any questions and agreed that Town Meeting is not the venue for reappraisal questions. The reappraisal will also be available on the Town’s website on May 18th. Betty then went on to say that June 4this the date for lodging the final Grand List with the Town Clerk. Setting the tax rate would not be set until early July as the Town doesn’t receive the education tax rate from the State
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 4
April 7, 2022
until the end of June. There was discussion about the Grand List figure that is listed in the annual Town Report. Traditionally this has been an estimated figure provided by the Listers. Betty said that going forward, the actual Grand List figure will be used in Town Report and not the Listers’ estimate. It needs to be emphasized that the figure used in the Town Report is only an estimate. The tax rate for the tax bills will utilize a recalculated Grand List figure based on the education rates and municipal rates. The Board thanked Betty for her presentation and looks forward to receiving the booklet.
3. Library – Maintenance. The Board reviewed the estimates received from Coral for the painting and floor refinishing from CN Custom Flooring LLC. Ann said she also obtained an estimate from Don Marshall. She said that the Library Trustees will be having more discussion on the painting as to whether it is necessary. Corey Novotny could either fix one area of flooring or the whole floor. Ann noted that nothing has been budgeted for this work. The money should come out of the Town Office Reserve Fund. Joyce said she would speak with Corey and get more information.
4. LEMP – Review. Ann said that copies of the High-Risk Populations List (for special attention/possible evacuation during an incident) was given to Emergency Management Coordinators Doug Mianulli and Ryan Thompson and Fire Chief Dave Colton for their review. The Board looked over the list and made changes as needed. Other positions and shelter locations were reviewed and will be addressed. The Emergency Coordinator and Shelter Manager and other positions noted in this plan were discussed and reviewed.
5. Town Meeting – Preparations. The question of whether or not to have refreshments (coffee, etc.) was addressed. It was decided to have these. Questions about the reappraisal will not be addressed. They will be referred to the Listers’ informational meeting.
6. Dogs – Licenses. The Board noted that there are a lot of dogs whose owners failed to license them. There are six that have not been registered with three of them also needing rabies certificates. The Ordinance and fine process were reviewed. AJ would like to consider waiving the $25 late fee if they pay between April 1stand before the letters are sent out. Discussion. Ann felt that next year letters should be ready and mailed out on April 1st. AJ moved to authorize Ann to write the letter advising delinquent dog owners of their responsibilities and penalties, and Trish to send out the letter to anyone who has not registered their dog by the April 1stdeadline. Ann seconded. All in favor.
7. Driveway permit – Hotchkiss. George has reviewed the permit for a driveway on Fellows Road and approved it. Ann moved to also approve it. AJ seconded. All in favor.
1. Town Buildings – Efficiency Vermont. Ann said that she has arranged with Efficiency Vermont to tour all the Town’s buildings on April 12that noon and make suggestions regarding lighting, etc.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: Thursday, April 21, 2022 6pm Town Hall
As there was no further business to discuss, Ann moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:28pm. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Pittsfield Select Board Regular Meeting Minutes page 5
April 7, 2022
Approved: April 21, 2022
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben