PITTSFIELD SELECT BOARD MEETING MINUTES
To listen to a recording of the meeting, please click here: https://bit.ly/47p4kiB
Date: November 2, 2023
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting-October 19, 2023
Present: Ann Kuendig, AJ Ruben ,Joyce Stevens
Public Present: Tommy Van Epps, Joe Kelly- The contractors on the Town Hall exterior attended to complain about the hold-back/punch list and final payment on the contract. Board members will meet with the Town Hall Building Committee to review the hold-back items.
- Climate Infrastructure Financing Webinars
- Mile a Minute Weed Release
- FPR Move Forward Release
- Czaplicki Communication
- VT Recreation Grants Follow-up-Consultants
- FEMA Buy-Out-next steps
- MRGP Documents/Better Roads Manual
- Better Roads Grant Deadline
- Budget Hearings Preparation-Budget Comps, Dept reminder, Salary Book, Insurance Rates
Next Meeting Dates: Budget- November 9, 2023
Regular-November 16, 2023
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:05pm. Seconded by AJ. All in favor.
AJ moved to accept the October 19, 2023 minutes. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
- Climate Infrastructure Financing Webinars-The state Treasurers Office is holding a series of informational meetings with municipalities to get information on climate financing needs so the state legislature can draft legislation to request federal funding. Comment period closes November 3, 2023. No action.
- Mile a Minute Weed Release-The Department of Forest Parks and Recreation is asking Vermont residents to be on the lookout for the invasive mile a minute weed that has now been documented in Chittenden Country. AJ will put a warning poster together to be posted at Swiss Farm.
- FPR Move Forward Release-The Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation announced a new planning effort to collect information on where to focus resources for outdoor recreation in Vermont communities. DFPR will be sending out surveys for recreation providers and draft a plan for public comment in June 2024.
- Czaplicki Communication-Katherine Czaplicki notified the board that she flagged down a tractor trailer attempting to use Upper Michigan to get to Chittenden and directed the driver to the turn around. Although this tractor travel is infrequent, the board will ask the Original General store to post a notice to their delivery drivers that Upper Michigan is a deadend while the board investigates posting a permanent road sign at the beginning of Upper Michigan,
- VT Recreation Grants Follow-up-Consultants-AJ contacted VLCT and Killington Recreation to get local contacts for recreation planners so the Board can apply for up to $20,000 the state is offering communities to pay for recreation planning. The application is due by December 15, 2023. AJ spoke with SORF which will send an invoice. AJ will also followup with TRORC Kevin Geiger for help filling out the application through the MTAP program.
- FEMA Buy-Out-next steps-The appraiser accepted the contract and will deliver the appraisal report November 30, 2023. The property owner has been notified of the next steps and protocols to follow if the house is occupied. Ann will follow-up with the owner to confirm that the closing could take place in the winter if she accepts the buyout appraisal and to plan on vacating the home accordingly.
- MRGP Documents/Better Roads Manual-Ann provided copies of the VT Better roads manual and 2019 agreement in which Pittsfield adopted state standards for the MRGP, river crossings and town highway construction, repair and maintenance.
- Better Roads Grant Deadline. Application for Better Roads 2025 grants to implement the MRGP are due December 20, 2023. Ann will forward the application to George to identify road segments that need to be brought into compliance with the MRPG and request help from TRORC in filling out the application.
- Budget Hearings Preparation-Budget Comps, Dept reminder, Salary Book, Insurance Rates-Ann circulated the first budget comparisons for members to review before the first budget hearing November 9, and reviewed health insurance premium increases. Martha was asked to send out a reminder notice to all departments except the Library to submit their proposed budgets and Capital Improvement Plans before the first budget meeting and request presentation time before the board.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: Thursday, November 16, 2023 @6pm Town Hall
Ann asked if there was any further business to discuss. As there was none, Ann moved to close the meeting at 7:32pm. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens A.J. Ruben