Date: December 3, 2020
To listen a recording of this meeting click https://fccdl.in/6tic1LVBdk
Present:(virtually) Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens, Mona Colton
Public Present: (virtually) Brian Davis, Jeff Jamele
1. C#2 – Correspondence from Kirk White. Ann motioned to accept. Mona seconded. All in favor.
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting November 19, 2020. Joyce made a motion to approve. Seconded by Ann. All in favor.
1. Chamber & Economic Development of Rutland Region
2. Kirk White – request to attend an upcoming meeting
1. Box Culvert Update – Final Design & Invoice
2. Town Network Cyber Security Plan
3. Town Meeting – vote on Australian ballot
4. October Treasurer Financial Reports
1. Select Board’s Town Report – discussion
Next Meeting Date: Special Budget Meeting – Thursday, December 17, 2020
Ann motioned to call the meeting to order 6:03pm. Mona seconded. All in favor. Ann also made a motion to take OB#2 Town Network Cyber Security out of order and make it the first item. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor.
1. Chamber & Economic Development of Rutland Region. The Executive Director would like to meet
with and update the Board on their future activities and request an fy2022 appropriation from Pittsfield suggesting $1 per person. Ann said she would not mind meeting with him to see what they might be able to do for Pittsfield. She said she would respond to him.
1. Kirk White – request to attend an upcoming meeting. The Secretary was asked to respond and invite him to attend.
1. Box Culvert Update – Final Design & Invoice. Ann said that the final design has been received and forwarded to the FEMA representative. We should know in about a month whether we will be receiving the funds. The Town is obligated to the State to complete construction or face them withholding funds. The Town is also obligated to pay Champlain Construction who was contracted to do the project next year. As they have completed the design work, Ann motioned to approve the invoice for $5,500 to Champlain Construction for Michie design work. Seconded by Joyce. Mona voted no. The motion passed.
2. Town Network Cyber Security Plan. Ann said that at the last meeting, the proposal for migrating to Office 365 for an initial cost of $1,500 plus a monthly cost for service of $475 for a total of $5,400 per year was discussed. Ann asked if the project could be implemented and phased in over the course of one to eighteen months to avoid such a large up-front cost. Brian and Jeff responded that the cost could be, but the implementation should be done all at once. They said the proposal was for a bare minimum, so should not be reduced. Finer points of the proposal were talked about. The role that Becky Donnet would play was discussed. Brian and Jeff were thanked for attending. Ann asked Joyce and Mona if a decision could be made tonight or choose to obtain other proposals. There was discussion of the cost and what the difference would be from what has been charged by Becky. Mona agreed that she would like to see the figures but did not feel the Board had a choice other than to go with Saguaro Technologies. It was suggested that other sources be looked at for help in covering the cost. Trish will be asked for the current balances in the reserved funds. Joyce motioned to accept Saguaro Technologies proposal for updated security. Mona seconded. All were in favor.
3. Town Meeting – Vote on Australian Ballot. Ann said that at the last meeting, the Board reviewed the options for holding Town Meeting and complying with the COVID mandates. The only option available to the Town was to conduct the meeting by Australian ballot. Polls would open on Tuesday, March 2, 2021 for the actual vote, like the recent general election. A virtual public informational meeting to explain the Warning, Articles, and Budget would be held by the Select Board up to ten days before the vote. The Warning must be posted at least thirty days but less that forty days prior to the vote and must include the date, time, location, and voter information. Ann said that to make this official she made the following motions:
1) Shall Pittsfield elect its officers by Australian ballot pursuant to Vermont Statutes Chapter
17 Section 2680(b)? Ann motioned to approve. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
2) Shall Pittsfield adopt all budget articles by Australian ballot pursuant to Vermont Statutes
Chapter 17 Section 2680(c)? Ann motioned to approve. Mona seconded. All in favor.
3) Shall Pittsfield vote on all public questions by Australian ballot pursuant to Vermont Statutes
Chapter 17 Section 2680 (d)? Ann motioned to approve. Mona seconded. All in favor.
Ann said she would get more details from Trish. Ballots will have to be pre-printed. It was suggested that the printer’s timeline be obtained to aid in planning. Joyce suggested getting a grant as ballot printing would be considered a COVID expense.
4. October Treasurer Financial Reports. Ann motioned to accept the reports. Seconded by Joyce. All in favor.
1. Select Board’s Town Report – discussion. Ann said she would draft the report but wanted to get some ideas. Several were suggested including the completion of many ongoing projects, rebuilding the Select Board, and improving relations with other town officials.
Next Meeting Date:
1. Regular Meeting Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 6pm.
Adjourn: As there was no other business before the Board, Ann made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:03pm. Joyce seconded. All in favor.
s/Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Approved: December 17, 2020
Ann Kuendig Joyce Stevens Mona Colton