Date: April 7, 2020
PRESENT: Ann Kuendig, Joyce Stevens, Mona Colton via freeconferencecall.com
PUBLIC PRESENT: (via call-in)Betty Warner, A.J. Ruben
Click link to view/hear recording of April 7, 2020 meeting fccdl.in/npIDy7GRzQ
MINUTES APPROVAL: March 10, 2020, March 24, 2020
- VT Rural Fire Protection Task Force Grant Program
- Vermont Local Road Training
- Emergency and Hazardous Chemical Inventory - Consolidated Communications
- Pittsfield Board of Listers COVID-19 Update
- RCML COVID-19 Update
- PACIF Increased Cyber Limits
- VTRANS COVID-19 Update
- Rutland County Mutual Aid
- Vermont Critical Infrastructure Project
- Charles Piso FYI on Minutes Deletion
- Bordens on 236 Lower Michigan
- NRCS letter on EWP Grant
- Grindel – 236 Lower Michigan scrap metal
- EWP Grant
- Rules of Procedure and Conflict of Interest Policy
- Update 236 Lower Michigan Road
- Appointments (Zoning Administrator, Energy Coordinator)
- Local Emergency Management Co-Directors job description
- COVID-19 Gov Executive Order – out of state visitors
- Lister Recommendations – Working Grand List Due Date Extension
4. Income tax/homestead deadline extensions
5. Weebly service contract/town website access
Next Meeting Date: April 21, 2020
Ann called the meeting to order at 6:07pm. Seconded by Joyce. All in were in favor. Ann noted that this was the first regular meeting of the new Select Board meeting online and sharing correspondence and documents online. She outlined procedural rules for the public call-ins as well as for those on the Board as far as stating your name, etc.
Agenda Modifications: Approval of April 2, 2020 Special Select Board Minutes. Add to the Minutes Approval. Motion made by Ann. Seconded by Joyce. All were in favor.
Minutes Approval: The Draft Minutes of the March 10, March 24, and April 2 meetings were distributed electronically. Ann made a motion to approval all three Minutes. Mona seconded. All were in favor. The Board then discussed how to handle the signing of the Minutes. It was decided to have them sent to the Town Office electronically and be added to the Orders folder for Joyce to sign.
- VT Rural Fire Protection Task Force Grant Program. This is a postcard on the grant program with a link to the application. Ann motioned to accept and forward to the Fire Dept. Joyce seconded. All were in favor.
- Vermont Local Road Training. This is a packet of brochures outlining upcoming programs. The April/May programs may be cancelled, but there are some in the fall. Ann made a motion to accept and forward to George. Joyce seconded. All were in favor.
- Emergency and Hazardous Chemical Inventory - Consolidated Communications. Motion by Ann to forward to the Fire Dept and be included with the Emergency Management Plan as an Addendum. Mona seconded. All were in favor.
- Pittsfield Board of Listers COVID-19 Update. The Listers have ceased public hours and are coordinating with Trish as needed. This was accepted.
- RCML COVID-19 Update. The Library has closed to the public and canceled March programs. This was accepted.
- PACIF Increased Cyber Limits. Protection limits for cyber extorsion and data protection have been increased. Ann moved that the declaration page be accepted and filed with the policy in the Town Office. Mona seconded. All were in favor.
- VTRANS COVID-19 Update. This explains how they are practicing social distancing and extends the grant deadline for the Class 2 Highway and Structure Program.
- Rutland County Mutual Aid. The Rights and Democracy Organization has created a website where Rutland County residents can request assistance during this crisis. Ann moved to accept and have the address added to the Town website. Joyce seconded. All were in favor.
- Vermont Critical Infrastructure Project. Homeland Security Unit of the Vermont Emergency Management is looking for help with this project by completing a survey. Ann moved to accept and forward to our local Emergency Management Co-Directors for follow up. Mona seconded. All were in favor.
- Charles Piso FYI on Minutes Deletion. This is an email communication between Charles and Matt Corron on an action taken at a meeting. This was accepted for the record.
- Begin-dropbox. Discussion. Ann made a motion to table this to another meeting to see if its use is called for. Mona seconded. All were in favor.
- Bordens on 236 Lower Michigan. See Old Business #3.
- NRCS letter on EWP Grant. See Old Business #1.
- Grindel – 236 Lower Michigan scrap metal. See Old Business #3.
- EWP Grant. The deadline for this grant application has been extended to April 30th. Ann explained that this pertains to the embankments on Tweed River Drive and Parmenter Place. This correspondence provides written guidance on filling out the application and does not obligate to the Town to making the repairs. Ann suggested a working meeting with Joyce to go over what needs to be completed and Ann said she would contact Trish and George. She will also contact Michael Lapointe, the EWP Project Manager, regarding review of the application when completed. Discussion as to how best to complete the application. Ann made a motion that she will contact Trish and George and get them started, set up a meeting with Joyce, and go over everything with Michael Lapointe, the EWP Project Manager. Joyce seconded. All were in favor.
- Rules of Procedure and Conflict of Interest Policy. Draft copies had been sent electronically for members to review re: changes/additions. Mona asked why changes/additions needed to be made. Ann explained the reasoning behind the changes/additions. Mona moved to accept the Rules of Procedure as drafted. Joyce seconded. All were in favor. Ann told Martha she would write up the final copy and forward it so that it can be sent to the Town Clerk and added to Joyce’s folder for signing. Regarding the Conflict of Interest Policy, it had been previously tabled because of page 3, paragraph G. It was felt it was very broad and subjective and needs some direction. Ann suggested eliminating paragraph G, signing it, and filing it at the Town Office. Seconded by Joyce. All were in favor. Ann will forward the newly revised document to the Secretary for her to forward to the Town Clerk and be added to Joyce’s folder.
- Update 236 Lower Michigan Road. At the last regular meeting, Harper Environmental was selected to handle asbestos abatement in the house. He has completed the independent contractor contract and provided a Certificate of Insurance. The Board needs to sign. It will be placed in Joyce’s folder. He is waiting for the Department of Commerce to consider him an “essential” worker and then bids for the demolition project can be sent out. ANR has signed off regarding the bat infestation issue.Peter and Verna Borden expressed in their correspondence concern about scavengers accessing the property and encouraged the Town to chain the doors and block the driveway to avoid possible liability. Ann stated that hasps and padlocks have been placed on all the doors, no trespassing signs posted, and George has chained and padlocked the driveway. The Board will clarify if the property falls under the Town’s insurance.Paul Grindel is requesting permission to remove scrap metal from the property. Discussion. Mona felt that Paul would need something releasing the Town from any liability should he be hurt on the property. Letters will be written to Peter and Verna as well as Paul. Joyce made a motion that Paul’s letter include a request for an insurance rider and note that access would be limited to the outside of the building. Seconded by Mona. All were in favor. The Secretary will compose an email response to Paul letting him know the Board’s decision.
- Appointments (Zoning Administrator, Energy Coordinator). Ann asked the Secretary if all letters had been sent out and had anyone contacted her. No one had. Ann asked if Matt was going to continue with the positions he was appointed to. The Secretary will send him an email to verify his status. There are still two vacancies on the Zoning Board of Adjustment. The Secretary was asked to send an email to the Planning Board asking for recommendations.
- Local Emergency Management Co-Directors job description. Joyce and Mona both felt it looked great although Mona didn’t know enough about it to have an opinion. Some changes to the Delegation of Authority section were discussed. Ann said she would reword it and send it around for review and add it to the next meeting’s agenda.
- COVID-19 Gov Executive Order – out of state visitors. Joyce explained that Doug has been putting postcards outlining the Governor’s restrictions on travel and lodging on cars with out of state plates and described a recent incident with an out of state driver. Doug’s primary concern is keeping everyone safe and the Board felt he should continue with the cards but if he feels someone is in violation, he should refer it to the Vermont State Police.
- Lister Recommendations – Working Grand List Due Date Extension. The purpose of their letter was to explain how they are functioning with the current crisis, changes in the law and how it could affect the Grand List, grievance hearings, and tax bill printing and due dates. Discussion/clarification. Ann made a motion to accept the Listers’ recommendations. Joyce seconded. All were in favor.
- Quarterly Financial Report. Ann made a motion to accept the General Fund and Highway Fund. Seconded by Joyce. All were in favor.
- Income tax/homestead deadline extensions. It was felt that perhaps a cash flow analysis be done before proposing any changes to deadlines. Ann asked Joyce or Mona to do a line by line item examination as to any potential loss of revenue and how a loss in revenue could impact major expenses. In addition, look for ways to conserve cash flow. Ann said she will draft a letter to send to all departments to be reviewed at the next meeting. Motion made by Ann, seconded by Joyce to the draft of this letter. All were in favor.
- Weebly service contract/town website access. Ann said she would like to retain full access to the Town’s website. The previous secretary was able to post the agenda, etc. Trish indicated to Ann that there was an additional cost for the Board to be given access to the Town’s website. Ann said she would confirm the cost. Mona made a motion to confirm the cost of $144, and if it is, then approve moving forward. Ann proposed an amendment to include full access to the website. Seconded by Ann. All were in favor.
Next Meeting Date: April 21, 2020
Adjournment: Ann made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:11pm. Seconded by Joyce. All were in favor.
Martha L. Beyersdorf, Secretary
Approved: April 21, 2020
Ann Kuendig, Chair Joyce Stevens Mona Colton