DATE: January 17, 2017
PRESENT: Matt Corron, Mona Colton, Patty Haskins, Tory Levite – TRORC, John Thomas, Tim Hunt, Dot Williamson, Roger Stevens, Rebecca Steward, Steve Turner, Margaret Conboy, Greg Martin (Note: Dave Larkin attending Regional Ambulance Service Board meeting and will stop here on his way back into town)
Agenda Modifications: New Business #8 William Oren v. Town of Pittsfield
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting - 1/3/17
- VLCT News January 2017
- VLCT Promotions and Restructuring
- Rutland Ambulance Service Questions Update
- 2017 Budgeting
- Snowmobile Travel on Lower Michigan Road and Parmenter Place
- Bid opening for 113 Park Place and 2335 Rt 100
- Control Technologies Contract
- Certificate of Highway Mileage
- Response to PACIF regarding recommendations
- Village Green Water Runoff
- Warning of VLCT Special Membership Meeting
- 2017 Standard Mileage Rates
- William Oren v. Town of Pittsfield
Next Meeting Date: February 7, 2017
Matt motioned to open the meeting; Mona seconded; the meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. Agenda modifications: New Business #8 William Oren v. Town of Pittsfield. All board members were in favor of the agenda.
Minutes Approval: Mona motioned to approve the January 3, 2017 minutes; Matt seconded; minutes approved.
- VLCT News January 2017 – Article titled “ATVs and Snowmobiles on Town Highways; Prepping for Town Meeting 2017” has information on rights of operators and proper signage.
- VLCT Promotions and Restructuring – Memorandum from VLCT advising cities and towns of personnel changes.
- Rutland Ambulance Service Questions Update – Dave Larkin is attending RAS Board Meeting and will report back to the Select Board with update on fee structure, answers to other questions submitted to RAS and whether RAS will accept Pittsfield as part of their service. Fiscal year for RAS starts July 1st which may allow enough time for this item to be warned at town meeting.
- 2017 Budgeting – Reviewed changes in fund balances, additional line item amounts, anticipated budget and expense, and town warning. These items need to be completed before the end of January 2017.
- Snowmobile Travel on Lower Michigan Road and Parmenter Place – Revisiting this issue due to information in the January 2017 VLCT News on ATV and Snowmobile Trails. The article includes mechanisms the selectboard may use to “open” the highways and necessary signage. Enforceable restrictions must be in the form of an ordinance. Tim Hunt hopes to have signage installed by this weekend to include shared highways, directional and better speed limit signs. The club will also work on having some enforcement officers in the area to curb speeding. This will help get the message out to snowmobilers to abide by rules in this area.
- Bid opening for 113 Park Place and 2335 Rt 100 – Demolition bids for former Peyton dwelling on Park Place and shed on former Halligan property were received from G&N Excavation, Inc., Casella Construction, Inc., and John Thomas Excavating. Tory Levite of TRORC reminded the board that bids can only be considered if the bidder attended the mandatory pre-bid meeting. John Thomas Excavating did not attend the pre-bid meeting. Lamberti attended the pre-bid meeting but did not submit a bid. G&H Excavation: $53,358 for 113 Park Place and $12,388 for 2335 Route 100. Casella Construction: $37,500 for 113 Park Place and $5,000 for 2335 Route 100. Tory will review bids to be sure bidders addressed all the criteria. Matt moved to vote on the bid award at the next regular meeting; Mona seconded; motion carried to vote at next regular meeting. Board secretary will send letters to all three bidders regarding the status of the bid process.
- Control Technologies (CT) Contract – Service contract renewal for Town Office HVAC system. Patty will verify CT inspects boiler only; Board wants CV Oil to perform cleaning and servicing of the boiler; Patty will find out date of most recent cleaning by CV Oil.
- Certificate of Highway Mileage – Matt moved to accept and sign the Annual Certificate of Highway Mileage with no changes; Mona seconded; motion carried to sign certificate with no changes. TH15 cannot be ‘thrown-up’ at this time because specific procedures need to be followed to do this properly, including a special warning and hearing. Board secretary will inform Herb and Anne Kuendig of the delay. The Board intends to follow through with the process so the change will be reflected in next year’s Certificate of Highway Mileage.
- Response to PACIF regarding recommendations – PACIF loss control requires completion of a certain percentage of improvement recommendations for the town to be eligible for a Security & Surveillance system at the Town Garage. Items slated to be improved will allow the town to qualify for a 50% match which is the highest available. Loss Control reminded Patty there are items in the park plan required by PACIF for the town to be in compliance.
- Village Green Water Runoff – tabled for a future meeting.
- Warning of VLCT Special Membership Meeting – This will be held in Montpelier February 15, 2017 and Matt plans to attend as the town delegate.
- 2017 Standard Mileage Rates – Mona moved to approve the IRS Mileage Rate of 53.5 cents per mile; Matt seconded; motion carried to use 53.5 cents per mile.
- William Oren v. Town of Pittsfield - Discussing litigation strategy in public places the Town at a substantial disadvantage. Motion to enter Executive Session to discuss this legal matter. Moved: Matt Corron. Seconded: Mona Colton. Motion carried. Board entered at 6:45 p.m. Motion to exit Executive Session. Moved: Matt Corron. Seconded: Mona Colton. Motion Carried. Board exited at 7:00 p.m. Matt motioned to have the town attorney review the “Summons and Complaint”; Mona seconded; all in favor, motion carried.
Next Meeting Date: February 7, 2017
Adjournment: Matt motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:15 p.m.; Mona seconded; meeting adjourned.
Approved: February 7, 2017 Recorded by: Tyna Gallagher