DATE: December 19, 2017
PRESENT: Peter Borden, Charles Piso, Matt Corron, Patty Haskins, Betty Warner, Caleb Hawley, Dave Colton, Earl from V-Tec
Agenda Modifications: New Business #2 – John Deere signature permission
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting December 5, 2017; and Special Meeting December 11, 2017
Public Present: Pittsfield Fire Dept. personnel, Library personnel
- TRORC sub recipient monitoring visit
- Carroll Boe and Pell Rate change
- M Cohen Rutland VT .com
- District 3 Environmental Commission
- VLCT Sarah Jarvis
- Update Joe Harrington
- Fire department Apparatus report
- VLCT updates Charles
- Update efficiency Vermont Matt
- RCML internet installation proposal
- Budget preparation
- John Deere signature permission
Next Meeting Date: January 2, 2018
Charlie motioned to open the meeting at 6:15 p.m., Matt seconded, meeting opened. Agenda modification – New Business #2 John Deere signature permission added to the agenda. Charlie motioned to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held December 5, 2017; Matt seconded; minutes approved. Charlie motioned to approve the minute of the Special Meeting held December 11, 2017; Peter seconded; minutes approved.
1. Pittsfield Fire Dept. personnel – Dave Colton and Caleb present on behalf of the Pittsfield Fire and Rescue (PFR). Earl from V-Tec was present to answer questions about options, financing, etc. Summary: PFR has a tanker with a 1990 chassis and 1968 milk tank; showing its age, challenging to drive as it does not have baffles in the tank, 6 speed manual, difficult to start (manual choke), limited number of volunteers capable of driving the vehicle. PFR would like to replace it with a pumper/tanker combination vehicle – new cost is approximately $250,000; pricing on used vehicles varies greatly and savings are not significant for comparable units. The department has $50,000 to put towards the purchase and would like the town to finance the remaining $200,000 plus. PFR currently has (2) pumper trucks and (1) tanker; purchase a pumper/tanker would eliminate 1 or 2 of the existing vehicles. When purchasing a new vehicle need to be aware of space limitations of the firehouse (height, length); and the transmission needs to be able to handle the local terrain. Earl presented lease/purchase figures with interest rates between 3.63% and 3.82%; Mascoma gave Patty a rate between 2.7% and 2.9%. The board would like Earl to ask for a better rate. There are unanswered questions on financing – PFR needs to pin down more detailed information and provide options to the board. A new truck will take 6 months to build. The information may not be ready in time for the Town Meeting Warning.
2. Library personnel – Betty Warner present on behalf of RCML: The installation of the separate internet connection will increase funds needed for the Library budget. $70 per month for access plus $150 for the installation. Betty also reported the Library should be able to turn the Wi-Fi on and off to match the operations of the Library. Charlie motioned to accept the Library’s plan to turn the Wi-Fi on and off as needed and to approve the Library’s request for additional funds to cover the increase monthly cost and the installation of the separate internet connection; Peter seconded; all in favor; motion carried. Betty would like to pursue a separate service for free Wi-Fi service in town through a grant. Several towns offer this as a service for out of town visitors and general public use. The board approved Betty to investigate this service further and report back.
- TRORC sub recipient monitoring visit – audit of 113 Park Place and 2335 Route 100 (formerly Halligan property) files was conducted. No action.
- Carroll Boe and Pell Rate change – Law firm that was used for some of the buyout properties has increased their rates. No action.
- M Cohen Rutland VT .com – Mary is aware the Board has decided not to request an appropriation of funds for this initiative. No action.
- District 3 Environmental Commission – Amendment to Riverside Farm’s application for a traffic study. No action.
- VLCT Sarah Jarvis – Sarah is the contact for information on how to properly warn the purchase/lease of equipment for municipality.
- Update Joe Harrington – Joe is the VTrans engineer assigned to the paving project through Pittsfield that Charlie was trying to arrange a visit. A different engineer is being assigned to the project. Charlie will invite the new engineer to a meeting when he gets their contact information.
- Fire Department Apparatus report – see Public Present #1 Pittsfield Fire Dept. personnel
- VLCT Updates, Charles – He is waiting for a return call regarding the number of required Constables.
- Update Efficiency Vermont, Matt – Matt has sent a reminder to EV on information needed, including a list of qualified EV contractors. He will contact Lubek Electric on current pricing for new lights and any rebates.
- RCML internet installation proposal – see Public Present #2 Library Personnel
- Budget preparation – reviewed undesignated fund balances; additional donation requests; audit estimate from Jeff Bradley; Peter to get a breakout on the list of projects he was pricing; Matt will get an estimate for painting projects; Peter will contact George to purchase the fireproof cabinet before the end of the year; Patty will do more research on how the town can use undesignated funds and proper warning procedures; Patty will run additional anticipated tax rate estimates for next meeting; Charlie will have Caleb get loan information for $100,000 and $200,000. Changing the Constable position to an appointed position has been tickled for a June meeting discussion as it has to be voted on in August.
- John Deere signature permission – The loader is scheduled for delivery on 12/20/17. Charlie motioned to have Matt sign the paperwork on behalf of the board; Peter seconded; motion carried.
Next Meeting Date: January 2, 2018
Adjournment: Peter motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:06 p.m.; Matt seconded; meeting adjourned.
Approved: January 2, 2018 Recorded by: Tyna Gallagher
Matt Corron (not present to sign at 1/2/18 meeting)