DATE: June 18, 2019
PRESENT: Charles Piso, Matt Corron, Ann Kuendig, Trish Fryer, George Deblon, Ray & Cheryl Harvey, Dot Williamson, Susie Martin, Chuck Colton, Carl Oertel, Pam Brocklehurst
Agenda Modifications: Correspondence #3 – VT Leadership Summit; Old Business #5 – Hearing Recess Act 250; #6 – Historical Society Update; New Business #5 – Municipal Planning Grants; #6 – Road Repair Bids; #7 – Better Roads VT Grant
Minutes Approval: Regular Meeting Minutes June 6, 2019
Public Present: Isabelle Green (not present)
1.Isabelle Green Letter
2.Council Rural Development
3.VT Leadership Summit
1.Recreation Fund – Playground Funds
2.Mike LaPointe Visit
3.Town Meeting Church Update
5.Hearing Recess Act 250
6.Historical Society Update
1.Town Hall Committee Minutes
2.Bridge Concerns Rt. 100
3.Town Hall Chimney Update
5. Municipal Planning Grants
6.Road Repair Bids
7.Better Roads VT Grant
Next Meeting Date: July 2, 2019
Meeting Opened, Minutes Approval & Agenda Modifications
Charlie motioned to open the meeting at 6:01 p.m., Matt seconded, meeting opened. All in favor of the agenda modifications: Correspondence #3 – VT Leadership Summit; Old Business #5 – Hearing Recess Act 250; #6 – Historical Society Update; New Business #5 – Municipal Planning Grants; #6 – Road Repair Bids; #7 – Better Roads VT Grant. Charlie motioned to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held June 6, 2019; Matt seconded; minutes approved.
1.Isabelle Green Letter – Expressed concern about the size of the culvert. It is the correct size but it filled with dirt and debris thus causing the washout. Culverts will be cleaned out as necessary. Road repair updates will be posted on the website.
2.Council Rural Development – Sponsor of VT Leadership Summit, see Correspondence #3.
3.VT Leadership Summit - The 2nd Annual Vermont Community Leadership Summit: Vision, Strategy and Skills for the Future will be held at Vermont Technical College, Randolph on August 12. The board will discuss nominees at next meeting to serve as a representative for the town.
1.Recreation Fund – Playground Funds have been allocated to the Recreation Fund account.
2.Mike LaPointe Visit – He is a state representative from Environmental Water Protection division and wants to set up site visit meetings with residents that were affected by the rainstorm. Charlie will get back to Mr. LaPointe with the names of the families including Borden, Abrams, Grindel and Stevens.
3.Town Meeting Church Update – Bruce Shaw asked the town if they can help offset the heating oil bill from hosting town meeting in their building. Charlie motioned to use funds from the pre-paid heating oil account after Trish verifies the remaining amount; Matt seconded; motion carried. Trish will report back to the board so they can determine an appropriate amount.
4.TRORC Commissioner – Board members will make recommendations for possible representative at the next meeting. A description of responsibilities was distributed to aid in determining likely candidates.
5.Hearing Recess Act 250 – Application #3W0405-6, Ray & Lynda Colton: District #3 Environmental Commission recessed the hearing pending submittal of additional information dated June 14, 2019. The applicant’s response is due July 18, 2019 and rebuttals are due by July 30, 2019.
6.Historical Society Update – Members of the Historical Society were present to discuss the situation with the Town Hall. The board is concerned valuable artifacts could get damaged when contractors begin work in the town hall. To determine the stability of the structure some materials have to be removed from the interior roof area including ceiling panels, foam insulation, etc. The Society does not want to move materials to the vault in the town hall or any place else, nor set-up any displays in the lower level. Carl is on also on the Town Hall committee and he is willing to help move historical items that are in the contractor’s way. Access to the town hall is restricted to contractors working on the building only. No one is to use the space to meet or use it for any other purpose, the building is closed. It is not open to the public which affects the society’s ability to share their displays and information. The board thought the Society would like to set up some items in the lower level of the Town Office and the option is still open should they change their minds. The future of the Town Hall is unknown at this point in time and it could be a year or more before the town knows what to do with the building. The Town Hall Committee is charged with presenting a report at the next regular Town Meeting.
1.Town Hall Committee Minutes – The minutes will be posted on the website and will be permanently stored with the Select Board Minutes. The committee is split into two groups: one group is focusing on community engagement/what do the residents want the building for; and the other group is determining what is wrong with the building and what is needed for remediation/future of the building.
2.Bridge Concerns Rt. 100 – Citizens with concerns about the detour at the bridge should contact the Agency of Transportation directly at the District 3 Office. The phone number is 802-786-5826.
3.Town Hall Chimney Update – The gap between the chimney and the building is getting wider. The oil furnace can be power vented and CV Oil has given an estimate of $1,700+/- for the project. There is an option to have the motor inside the building or outside. The Town Hall committee will discuss further at the July 1st meeting. The project consists of removing the chimney and installing a power vent system.
4.Treasurers Report – Trish reviewed the report with the board. All is in order. She has been moving ahead with department transitions and that is going well.
5. Municipal Planning Grants – FY 20 program description has been received and board members will review to determine if there are any upcoming eligible activities.
6.Road Repair Bids – George submitted a comparison of the bids received from Harvey’s and Mosher including recommendations as to which job each company should be awarded. Estimates are based on what can be determined currently however once the jobs start additional work may be needed. Ray and Cheryl Harvey were present and answered questions. There are seven job sites with Jobs 1,6 & 7 going to Mosher and Jobs 2, 3, 4 & 5 going to Harvey’s. The priority list: Liberty Hill Rd – Rochester side; Upper Michigan Rd; Hawk Mountain Rd; Hawk Run, Hawk Ln, Hawk Trail & Moose Run; Liberty Hill Rd – Pittsfield side; Guernsey Hollow Rd; and Tozier Hill Rd. Harvey’s can start June 26-28 on their jobs. George will be the point of contact. Signage will be put in place to let residents know work is in progress and information will be posted on the internet. Charlie motioned to accept the bids and awards based on George’s recommendations; Matt seconded; motion carried. The town is required to attend one of the upcoming FEMA meetings: June 25 at 10 am at the Bethel Town Office or June 27 at 10 am at the District 3 Office in Mendon. George, Trish and possibly Charlie will attend one of these meetings.
7.Better Roads VT Grant – The town has been awarded a grant of $16,020 to fix a section of Liberty Hill Road near the Pittsfield and Rochester town lines. The grant is valid until June 2020.
Next Meeting Dates: July 2, 2019 Regular Meeting
Adjournment: Charlie motioned to adjourn the meeting at 8:05 p.m.; Ann seconded; meeting adjourned.
Approved Date: July 2, 2019 Recorded by: s/Tyna Gallagher