Minutes of April 10, 2018
MEMBERS PRESENT: Suana Rubin, Marsha Hopkins, Jennifer Howard, Sarah Gallagher and Colleen Wilcox.
1. The meeting was called to order by Suana at 6:30pm at the Town Office.
2. The minutes from January 9, 2018 meeting were read. Sarah made a motion to accept, seconded by Jennifer, all in favor.
3. Agenda Modifications: Mail
- Notice of the Spring Planning and Zoning Forum to be held May 23rd at the Franklin Conference Center was read
- Notice from Norwich Star Technologies regarding Municipal solar was read
- Notice regarding speed monitoring signs was read from Elan City
- Letter dated Nov 9th regarding ongoing Act 250 permit alterations for the Riverside Farm; attorney response. Letter had already been distributed to the Planning Commission previously
- Negative response from VTRANS regarding Pittsfield’s request to lower the town speed limit.
4. Select Board and Capital Plan
Suana and commission discussed whether we should contact the Select Board again in light of the issue raised with the vote concerning purchase of a new firetruck. All agreed that Suana would contact the Select Board after the revote for the firetruck and ask if they were going to begin compiling a capital budget. Although this item is in the Town Plan matrix, the commission concluded that the Select Board is the one responsible for this but we would help if needed.
5. Heart and Soul Discussion lead by Sarah
Sarah presented the commission with materials she received from Heart and Soul. Sarah read their Community Readiness Self-Assessment Questionnaire. Jennifer said the town already addresses certain issues on the form. Colleen thought
Pittsfield was already moving away from just being a bedroom community to Killington. In addition, it was concluded that the town may be a bit too small to for this kind of visionary work and Heart and Soul may better serve larger towns like
Rutland and Randolph with downtown centers.
6. Speed Limit Signage Discussion
Sarah presented the AARP grant application and Marsha presented pricing on speed monitoring signs. The Commission discussed whether residents would object to any form of blinking lights and concluded that were two spots at either end of town the signs could go without presenting a problem. The commission felt we did not have enough time to meet the AARP grant deadline on May 16 but would look into other grants. Sarah suggested checking with other state agencies other than VTRANS since we do not have enforcement. Marsha said she would check with Two Rivers, Elan City and the Golub Foundation suggested by Suana.
Next meeting scheduled for July 10th at 6:30pm. Meeting adjourned at 7:50pm.
The MINUTES of April 10, 2018 were duly APPROVED on August 15, 2018.
Signed: Suana Rubin