Town Hall Citizens’ Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes, July 1, 2019
5:00 p.m. Town Office Building Basement
Present: Ann Kuendig (interim chair), Dave Larkin, Ray Colton, Carl Oertel, Betty Warner
Guests: Dot Williams from the Historical Society
Call to order. Ann called the meeting to order at 5:05 p.m.
Approval of minutes. The minutes of the June 3 meeting were approved by a
motion from Ann, seconded by Carl.
Community Input. Dot Williams expressed concern about the necessity of moving historical society materials from the building while it is being repaired and reported that the Historical Society does not want to move any of the items.
Response. Ann pointed out that the request for the transfer of those items came from the Select Board several months ago when it was decided not to use the building for public events. Ann also noted there is a project underway to create “as is” drawings of the first floor of Town Hall and that the Historical Society belongings are impeding the ability to do the measurements necessary to complete that project.
Review Scope of work-update estimates. Dave Larkin will provide additional scope of work items for the first floor project so that the document can be updated.
Chimney Stabilization Project. A motion was made by Ann, seconded by Betty and accepted unanimously to accept the bid of $1721.30 from CV Oil for a Power Vent and its installation. Related to this - 1) Ann confirmed maintenance would be included in our existing maintenance agreement. 2) A Power Vent can be installed inside or outside. CV Oil confirmed that it would be installed inside and thus not subject to weather-related wear. Next steps - Ann will confirm to CV Oil that the town accepts the quote and she will schedule the installation after the removal of the chimney. It was decided to gather a work party during the week of July 16th for the purpose of taking down the chimney. Ann will speak with people who have equipment and tools to help with the project and based on those discussions set a date for a work party event. Ann will also check insurance provisions for a volunteer work party.
Community Engagement Survey. Ann, Sarah, and Betty have been working on producing a survey that will engage the community in telling this committee their wishes for the future of the Town Hall building. A draft version of an insert into the tax bill mailing was presented to the committee. Changes were suggested. A motion was made by Betty, seconded by Carl, and approved to submit revised copies of the insert to the committee for approval and to secure that approval via email. Likewise, a list of the survey questions will be submitted to the committee for review and approval via email.
Community Engagement Events. Betty and Ann shared that the idea of creating a community event in August - a potluck gathering - for the purpose of gathering people and getting even more survey question answers. No firm decision was made about a date or the event. Also mentioned was the idea of taking the survey to any local gathering or meeting or place where we could acquire more survey responses. It was agreed that we would use the Survey Monkey application to manage this survey. While no firm decisions were made there was a consensus that the more opportunities we can create for people to respond to the survey, the better
Municipal Planning Grants. Ann reported that there are Municipal Planning Grants available. While the current round of funding is underway and we can not take advantage of it, she noted that we should be watching and monitoring possibilities as we move forward. Specifically, grants are available for planning activities which we may need to engage the community in depending upon the results of the survey.
Member Summer Availability.
Next meeting: Monday, July 22, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. in the basement of the Town Office
Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 6:44 p.m. upon motion from Ann,
seconded by Carl and unanimous consent.
Approved by: s/Ann Kuendig
Date: July 22, 2019