Town Hall Citizens’ Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes, June 3, 2019
5:00 p.m. Town Office Building Basement
Present:Ann Kuendig (interim chair), Dave Larkin, Ray Colton, Carl Oertel, Glenn Reinauer, Herb Kuendig, Betty Warner, Sarah Gallagher
Call to order.Ann called the meeting to order at 5:05 p.m.
Approval of minutes.The minutes of the May 13 meeting were approved by a motion from Ann, seconded by Carl.
Scope of work/estimates.Dave and Glenn had come up with a list of projects comprising the scope of the work to be done at the Town Hall. Glenn had divided the list into three phases; Phase 1 would include chimney repair, floor repair and water mitigation for an estimated total of $37,500. Completing this phase would allow the building to be used as in the past. Phase 2 included roof replacement, beam repairs, possible truss replacement for an estimated total of $64,460. It was suggested that replacement of the ceiling grid/tiles and lighting and electrical work would have to be done at this time as well for an estimated additional $6000. Phase 3 would be insulation and residing of the remaining walls for about $27,000.
Chimney Stabilization. Ann reported that the Select Board had approved expenditure of the available $4719 to take care of the chimney. There was also discussion of the possibility of doing a direct vent of the existing furnace and removing the chimney, and these seemed to be the preferred option, rather than repairing the chimney and having to do building repairs afterwards which could effect the chimney. Ann will follow up with CV Oil about the direct vent. She will also get an estimate on repairing the base of the chimney, repointing the top, and strapping it to the building.
First floor design.Herb will look at the building with Glenn and Dave, and Ray suggested consulting the drawings for the Town Office building as the buildings are very similar. Herb will prepare as-built drawings and design the floor support system which will need an engineer’s stamp for certification.
It was again the consensus of most of the group that the best way to proceed would be to have a special town meeting to gain approval to do Phase 1 of the project to make the building useable for Town Meeting 2020. Sarah reminded the group that we are charged with providing options for the townspeople to choose from. The group can certainly support a particular option and speak to that at a special meeting.
Community engagement/survey venues.Ann presented her findings about Survey Monkey and a draft/example of how the survey would work with sample questions. Tax bills are mailed in mid-July and this would be a great time to include a statement with some of the history and costs associated with the building, along with a link to the survey. Betty suggested doing a wall collage/mural somewhere (Swiss Farm Market vestibule/Post Office/separate sign/wall somewhere) where townspeople could comment. There was also talk of adding a page to the Town website with information about the project and a link to the survey, etc. Sarah suggested a coaster with an image of the Town Hall and the link to the survey which could be distributed locally. We also talked about the need for a public gathering to have a discussion and seek input about the building.
Ray felt strongly that we should seek approval to do Phase 1. We continue to pay for the Town Office building, the fire truck, and now flood damage, and it is not prudent to add to the indebtedness of the Town.
Next steps.Glenn and Dave will update their information and numbers. Ann will investigate getting a facilitator to help with survey, follow up on chimney and power vent.
Next meeting: Monday, July 1, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. in the basement of the Town Office building.
Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 6:44 p.m. upon motion from Ann, seconded by Dave.
Approved by: s/Ann Kuendig Date: July 1, 2019